In order to actively listen to our stakeholder groups and ensure a proper direction for our business model, we revisit our sustainability materiality matrix every two years to track and anticipate major global ESG trends. The process involves Raízen’s leadership, customers, investors/shareholders, employees, specialists, unions, the press, the government, and others stakeholders. The last process was conducted in 2021, where seven material themes were identified:
- Climate change and energy transition;
- Health, safety and environment management;
- Governance, ethics and compliance;
- Innovation, development and circular economy;
- Relationship with communities;
- Human rights, diversity and inclusion;
- Economic-financial performance and business expansion.
Strategic Sustainability Plan
Motivated to be a reference in sustainability for the sectors in which we operate, we have structured a robust Strategic Sustainability Plan, composed of ambitions, indicators and several initiatives for each of the strategic sustainability themes. The plan guides us in an objective and organized manner in our quest to fulfill our public commitments.
With the goal of making clear our commitment to the positive impact of our business, operations, products, and services, as well as to encourage our business partners and links in our value chain to evolve their sustainability ambitions, we have taken on and published our public commitments related to 15 of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations’ Agenda 2030. These commitments strongly support us in reshaping the future of energy through the development of high-value solutions for our key stakeholders. They are:
Climate Change and Management of Carbon Emission
- Carbon footprint: Reduce ethanol carbon footprint by 20%;
- Renewable energy: Increase renewable energy production by 80%;
- EBITDA from Renewables: Achieve and maintain 80% of adjusted EBITDA from Renewable businesses;
- Use of products: Reduce by 10% the carbon
- Water withdrawal: Reduce water withdrawals from external sources by 15% (*During the crushing period)
Agricultural Management and Biodiversity
- Energy efficiency: Increase energy generation per harvested area (GJ/ha) by 15%;
- Sugarcane traceability: Ensure the traceability of 100% of the volume of crushed sugarcane (own and third party) and zero illegal deforestation after 2008.
- Certified bioparks: Achieve and maintain all units in operation (EAB) certified by an internationally recognized standard;
- Certified sugarcane: Reach and maintain 100% of sugar cane sources with reference to an internationally recognized sustainability standard.;
- Supplier management: Monitor 100% of critical suppliers from the ESG standpoint.
Human Rights and Well-Being
- Progress in human rights: – Promote advances in human rights across our operations and supply chain.
Ethics and Governance
- Multistakeholder initiatives: Be an active member of industry groups;
- Active influence of strategic partners: Actively influence our counterparties, which must share Raízen’s Ethics & Compliance values.
Relations with Local Communities
- Promoting education: Promote educational initiatives in 100% of the regions where Raízen operates through the programs of the Raízen Foundation
Diversity and Inclusion
- – Reach at least 30% of women in leadership positions by 2025.